Friday, March 18, 2011

Sarah A. Brodie -- Artist Statement

     As a shy child in a large family, I grew up craving  a sense of personal space and privacy that existed only in my imagination.  I spent many hours nurturing lives and landscapes that only I could see.

     Today, surrounded by family, friends, pets and art, I still feel desperate to control the chaos around me.  I think that my obsession with boxes mirrors my struggle to organize my public life and my private interiors.  It is the outside of my boxes where these words combine.  My boxes are seldom square; corners crumple, lids tilt and handles twist.  Color, texture and line disappear and return in odd places.

As wild as my exteriors may be, the interior is just as important to me.  I want to provide that quiet restful and secret place that I longed for as a child. It is a safe enclosed space that you can decide what treasures - a jewel, a shell, a stray whisper - will rest there.

No comments: